Monday, March 28, 2011

My 1st Wild Cobra Encounter

I have not been to Sembawang Park for very long time and it was more than 3 years ago since I last visited Sembawang Park!! The very loud noise was heard even before I arrived at the park was from this pair of Collared Kingfisher. This purple heron happily feeding in the warm morning sun. There are also lots of Rock pigeon in the park. I cross over to the Park Connector and in the Simpang Kiri river, there are waders actively feeding during low tide too. As seen here is a Common Sandpiper.


A Green Shank

The low tide also attracted lots of 'fisherman'

This uncle was searching for clams under the hot sun!!

Up above the river, Brahminy Kite was having his usual rounds perhaps looking for his next meal.
Not forgetting Cattle egret also looking for food.A big surprise for this trip is this Black Spitting Cobra!! I happily look up on the tree to look for birds and unknowingly intruded this Cobra nest. I was very fortunate that the cobra didn't attack me else I'll be in deep trouble!! The Cobra hissing at me very loudly just about 2.5m away right infront of me. Sensing something is not right, I stop and saw this Cobra with the head expanded and body upright in the waiting to strike position. The stand down after few seconds sensing that there is no threat as I stood still and didn't even raise my camera as I worry it will further irritate the snake. I just trigger my shuttle without looking through the view finder when I saw the snake start to withdraw and before it completely disappear into the nest and managed to have one shoot.


Is a beautiful creature and also a dangerous creature to avoid!

1 comment: