Saturday, March 28, 2009

Visit to Sungei Buluh Wetland Reserve

I was at Sungei Buluh this morning for a walk and take the opportunity to try out my lightweight tripod to see if it can support my camera with the telephoto lens.

After the main bridge, I turn right on Route 1 to start with macro lens fitted on my camera. Just immediately after the main hide, saw a big orb-web spider.

I'm not sure what caterpillar is this, and is quite well protected from their predator.

This cicada is just right beside me, it really make lots of noise. The forest will be very quiet without their presence.

I was having persistent high fever 2 weeks ago and was first suspected to be dengue. Luckily the blood test show negative. Just when I was about to pass through the Fresh Water Pond, I was swarm by mosquitoes and decided to go back to the Main Hide area to try out my new tripod.

I met Ria, Brandon, Dr Chua with the spiders team while on my way to the Main Hide. Thanks Ria for the offer but I decided not to follow as I am now trying to avoid being kind blood donor for mosquitoes... :-) The HSBC volunteers were there too! I met them at the Main Hide area.

I didn't know mud-skippers also are annoyed by mosquitoes too. Just look at the photo above. Whenever the mud skipper surfaced, the mosquitoes will circle and stop on the exposed area.

This little heron (Butorides striatus) is such a good hunter. The series of photo showing the hunting process.A closer look at this little heron with its prey.
The little egrets (Egretta garzetta) are out for feeding too.Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus)with their long and curved bill can easily probe deeply into the soft mud for food.

This good swimmer usually mistaken as crocodile. Well, there are also reptile but a water monitor lizard (Varanus salvator) but not crocodile.

No comments:

Post a Comment